Quay County, New Mexico Genealogy
Quay County, New Mexico ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to aid you trace your personal Quay Co., ancestors. Get started by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Quay County was founded on February 28, 1903 from Guadalupe County. The county was named in honor of Matthew Stanley Quay, a U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania who supported New Mexico's statehood.
The Quay County Seat is situated in Tucumcari and the county government website is http://www.quaycounty-nm.gov/
Locations bordering Quay County are Union County (north), Harding County, San Miguel County (west), Guadalupe County (west), De Baca County (southwest), Roosevelt County (south), Curry County (south), Deaf Smith County, Texas, Oldham County, Texas(east), Hartley County, Texas (northeast).
Cities and towns found in Quay County consists of Tucumcari
Quay County has Federal Census Schedules to aid in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are present for 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. You'll find free online and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Quay County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Quay County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also New Mexico Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- New Mexico State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Tucumcari Family History Center, 2400 S. 9th St., Tucumcari, NM. Phone 505-461-9676
- Tucumcari Historical Research Institute, 416 S. Adams, Tucumcari, New Mexico, 88401
- Quay County Genealogical Society, Tucumcari Public Library
- Quay County, New Mexico Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Quay County
- Quay County, New Mexico Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Quay County
- USGenWeb Archives for Quay County (usgwarchives.net)
Quay County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the significance of Quay County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy details. Buried away in New Mexico courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and worries of many New Mexico inhabitants.
The chances are excellent that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Quay County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's dept to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars before visiting or requesting information because of occasionally changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of staff will assist persons in locating the resources, however it's up to the man or women to undertake the research.
The below details indicates what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are in Quay County. The years New Mexicod listed below could be the first recognized documents for this county.
- Quay County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 122 W Center St, Tucumcari, NM 88401
- Phone: (575) 461-0510
- Quay County Clerks office has land records, including deeds, mining records, surveys, and plats; marriage records; and some probate records. Also Military discharges, liens, mortgages, powers of attorney, and miscellaneous affidavits may be found there.
- Marriage Records: 1893
- Land Records: 1903
- Probate Records: 1892
- Quay County District Court Clerk has many responsibilities which include courts of general jurisdiction, including probate and divorce, actions, as well as jury trials.
- New Mexico Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New Mexico for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
New Mexico Historical Records
- Databases include New Mexico Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; New Mexico Birth, Marriage & Death Records; New Mexico Voter Lists & Census Records; New Mexico Immigration & Emigration Records; New Mexico Obituary Records; New Mexico Military Records; New Mexico Family Tree Records; New Mexico Pictures; New Mexico Stories, Memories & Histories; New Mexico Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Quay County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Quay County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is just a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred Quay County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Quay Co. NM Books, Newspapers & Publications
Quay Co. NM Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Quay Co. NM Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Quay Co. NM Census Records
Quay Co. NM Cemeteries & Graveyards
Quay Co. NM Church & Bible Records
Quay Co. NM Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Quay Co. NM General and History Websites
Quay Co. NM Immigration & Naturalization
Quay Co. NM Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Quay Co. NM Military Records
Quay Co. NM Schools & Directories